Sunday, April 24, 2011

Luo Han Guo Fruit

The Luo Han Guo Fruit, Siraitia grosvenorii also known as arhat, monk's, or buddha fruit is a perennial vine used in chinese medicine and as a sweetener.  I have only seen it used as a tea.  The whole fruit was broke into pieces and steeped in almost boiling water.  I planted these many months ago, none of them germinated, and then this one appeared about 4 weeks ago.  I'm not sure if it is self-fertile so it may never produce fruit.  The plant is native to the mountains of southern China where they get filtered light, mildly warm temperatures, and humid air. I had directly under a fluorescent light and it got yellow spots.  So the strategy is to mimic that environment.  The plant is therefore being kept indoors in a minigreenhouse where it is humid and not too bright.

8 comments:

  1. Let me know tall they are now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. wherethewildgreensgrowAugust 26, 2011 at 11:07 PM

    Sorry to dissapoint, but I have lost them. I had two left, and I've searched all of my garden spaces and I can't find them. I give a lot of plants away so they may have inadvertently moved out. They were a bout 20" tall about a month ago, really slow growing for a cucurbitaceae. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am interested in trying to grow one of these. Love the fruit. Any advice? I live in Portland, or, thanks
    Lcmag@ymail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in Florida planted 30 or more seeds and one did come up and is looking good it was a little cool so I am going to plant again, I have high hopes one the one I do have ( will give you a update )Cedarkeycaptain@Gmail.com If you know something I don't would like to hear from you

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just bought some seeds , can any one help me to start ?
    Do I need to soak the seeds before planting ?
    I have about 20 seeds ,

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can check out my directions for sowing seeds in my March 2011 post called Sowing Time. I would avoid the presoaking as they take so long to germinate, it may increase the risk of molding. A well watered warm patch of soil for up to 2 months will do the trick.
    I couldn't figure out why I couldn't post a comment, so I eventually switched browsers to do so. Sorry to everyone who I haven't got back to or that I've commented late on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does anyone know, what is the best temperature for this plant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, I'm from Brazil, and I'm interested in growing the monk's fruit.
    if you have these monk fruit seeds, I can exchange for some seed of interest, that we have here in Brazil.

    or I can buy you some seeds or even fresh fruit for me to remove the seeds.

    if you no longer have the plant or seeds.

    you can point me to a website where I can buy, because I have been looking on the internet and I don't find it available anywhere.

    ReplyDelete