Thursday, March 3, 2011

The garden edibles: Wonderberry and Passion vine.

I'll begin with the wonderberry or sunberry, since it's the largest. These seeds were similar to, but much smaller than tomato seeds. They were soaked in 105°F for 24hr.  After theat they were planted in the organic soil/peat/leaf litter seed starting mix.  After a week they sprouted and were fast growing.  I also am growing some ground cherries which are much smaller than the wonderberry. and some litchi tomatos which look like tomato seedlings.



These next little ones are passion flowers, passion vines, maypop, or Passiflora edulis. These plants should one day have beautiful flowers and I hope some day they will fruit.  Passion vines can be very temperamental when starting and it is important that they are treated in such a way that they awake from their dormancy.  I bored away a little of the seed coat with the tip of my pocket knife. Then I soaked them like I do all my small seeds and planted 1/2in. deep.  They sat covered in a cool part of my home for 4 1/2 weeks and then were moved to a heating pad.  After 3 days on the heating pad nothing germinated so I gave them a deep soaking.  The next night 70% of them germinated and most have germinated since then!  I kept seperating them into new pots as they germinate and so now I have 12 P. edulis growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment