Thursday, March 24, 2011

Seed update on Wolfberry, Arrowleaf Basalmroot, Rue, and Milkweed

So the camera was lost in one of my coat pockets for a while and I just found it today.  Now the seeds were kept a close eye on and all of them germinated.  The only one I've actually tried to grow before was the Lycium barbarum(wolfberry or matrimony vine) so I was quite pleased that the others came through.  The Milkweed was the first to sprout, a few days later a couple Balsamorhiza sagittata(arrowleaf basalmroot) had arrived along with the L. barbarum.  The rue was the very last to come up, but there are now about a half a dozen rue seedlings. 


The first shot is the milkweeds that were locally harvested.  The next picture is of the rue.  The third are the L. barbarum seedlings, these fruits were bought about two years ago and they still have high germination rates.  The B. sagittata are in the greenhouse that was just built and it's too dark to take a picture now, none of the unstratified ones have sprouted yet.









2 comments:

  1. What's your planting medium in the photos above? It looks like something you mixed yourself rather than a commercial mix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good eye Martha, yes that is a mix. The mix was 1 gallon used soil, 1/4 gallon peat, 1/4 gallon perlite, two handfuls of last falls leaf litter, 1 TB bone and blood meal, and a handful of kelp. Sadly I was out of sand and I think I used too much perlite. I have since reloaded on the sand, which I add about a handful while cutting back on the perlite.

    ReplyDelete